Thursday, March 6, 2008

By popular demand

Some bright spark asked for some music so, courtesy of My Flash Fetish, their funky music players and a little bit of html editing jiggery pokeri, you could and maybe should be listening to it now.

On the jukebox

-John Clay, Always On The Outside - my dad from about 1971 in his Donovan phase. Never one to miss the proverbial hop, skip and jump onto the latest bandwagon*, this is one of a collection of lovely understated tunes that spawned his debut single release, As She Flies Away. Key lyric; "I didn't know where to begin. Always on the outside looking in." Is it about fear of living; or the paradox of being the centre of attention while being onstage and yet still being detached and observing; or is it about the loneliness of travel? No idea. *The record books will show that the 'bandwagon' was actually only a 'wagon' until my father jumped on the punk wagon one weekend in '77 and created the band, Joe Cool and the Killers, in his image. It has been known as the 'bandwagon' ever since; so it says here.

-Chungking, The Count - It could be because it was at this time (was it 2000?) that it became clear that Sean and Jessica (and big Jamesy) had something pretty special going on. Maybe it is also because coincidentally we once tried to play a version of this in old jam band. It is mostly because I found this infectious, I got to play it live, and this reminds me about the best of Brighton. This is unreleased by the way so it is a bit naughty to have it here. Key lyric; "I need more satis-fraction" or maybe "I am odd and you are prime". That really is genius. They didn't have that class in the Sesame Street version.

-Beats & Styles, Everything is Everything - the encore number from the gigs I played this winter. Timeless power chords, hammering production, vital chat from Jus Red (coincidentally from Brighton), and a total joy to jump around to. Key lyrics; "In general shit will hit the fan" and "listen to the chorus and comprehend". This tune really grew on me in particular because, lurking behind the faux pop of the chorus, there is an articulate and enduring message. I haven't watched a Beats & Styles gig since maybe 2005 so I hope to catch them in On The Rocks on March 21st just before we leave.

Top 3 songwriting moments from people I know:
#3 Beginning, Ian (I like this so much I will put it on the jukebox)
#2 Mother's Day, Robin/Tony/Dre (I've got a very cheap video we made somewhere)
#1 Two faced, two timing tart, Barry (Laughing Gas) (sentimental reasons as it was the first song at the first gig in the first band, you get the idea, with Jamie and Dylan; charming lyrics too - a definite message!)

No comments: