Saturday, August 9, 2008

Bay Island blues


After the highs and lows of La Ensenada we thought about trying another village but felt that we had our perfect experience. The obvious thing to do was to get back on the gringo trail so we got o the boat to the budget-dive-island of Utila, still part of Honduras. And we didn´t heed advice and take sea-sickness pills.

The boat was a motor catarmaran. The sea was rough afternoon. There was pitching, but there was also yawing. There was so much movement in all directions. And the sides of the boat were non-transparent tarps so you couldn´t see out and get a fix on the horizon or land. The journey was only just over an hour. Within ten minutes my shorts and b-ball top (still thanking Per!) were soaked through with sweat and I realised something was up. The crew were scanning the 50 or so passengers readey with bags and towels. Then it began. I was puking so much for the next 45 minutes I didn´t even notice that Anna had joined in the fun along ith about 20 others. My hands were numb, my body was weak, and when we arrived I couldn´t get off the boat for about 20 minutes. Then I had to lay on the dock for another 45 minutes, still throwing up. Oh, I was a sight. Meanwhile Anna scored us a great room at Ruby´s, with a lovely bathroom, kitchenette across the courtyard, jetty with late night rays, and the lovely cats, MC (coincidental note to Warnocks) and Baby, who was blind, so had the most incredibly piercing green eyes. MC stole the yank fisher guy´s steak shark bait and we fed Baby sweet milk. But I couldn´t really do anything for 2 days. But the beach and snorkelling were great. Anna still has the jellyfish sting scar on her upper arm.

Our rooms usually look something like this. This was a nice one
Anna befriends parrot on Utila beach. Jamie loses job.

No comments: