Saturday, August 9, 2008

Leon, first taste of Nicaragua


Leon, the Nicaraguan city, was a great intro to a new country. It was small, friendly, cheap, had a gringo zone that could be avoided, and had a certain vibe about it. Already on the first Nica buses the locals had been friendly and chatting away. We arrived in the rain with Anna not feeling too good and all the obvious gringo accom booked. I trapsed about in the rain and found a room in the back of a sports bar. El Cedro (the Cider House AKA Shark Bar) turned out to be a good stroke. Canadian Jack was our host and was a very good cook - whenever we went elsewhere we were disappointed. The bar out front had a good mix of young locals and long term foreign residents and the room was basic, cheap, clean and quiet.

We dug Leon the same way we dug Oaxaca. Just walking around, digging the vibe, enjoying hanging out. And it was here that was the famous backgammon plan was formed. So I should update you. Well, on the first day I wiped the floor with my opponents, but it was all for points, so just practice. That night Anna and I played. Anna played with a hitherto unseen zeal, presumably subconsciuosly acutely aware that our holiday money was connected, and she wiped the floor with me, winning 7 consecutive games.

The next day I skulked back to the Internet cafe and though I should warm up with some points games before parting with real cash. And I couldn´t buy a game. I lost to everyone, in every way. I lost all the points I had won the day before, even against rank beginners. It really was a disaster. So I totally bottled playing for money! I should add that since then Anna has won here first ever series-of-series-of-series but I am still well ahead in the rankings (she insists on keeping score!).

Leon, where big hair meets big street art

No comments: