Tuesday, October 21, 2008

In the news

A lot of the time, while we have been on the road, we feel like we are in another world. But there are also times when we know we are in the same world and we are humbled by the trifles of distance, flying times and opposing seasons. A few weeks ago we learned from a Spanish news report about the shooting in a Finnish school that marked the start of the dark months with eleven deaths in a small town in our small country.

A few days ago I found out that my friends in Brighton have suffered a tragic loss. Chris was mother to Ben, a very old school friend; like an aunt to Tommy; and a great friend to Teresa in the hardest times. We were neighbours for years and years and she always seemed so young, especially to have three grown up kids. Anna and I were in her house at Chistmas, witnessing the amazing amount of friends they had. It is very hard for me to think of her husband Paul now. He has been such a wonderful friend to my dad and he has been so supportive to Teresa and me through our grief and now he has been robbed of the love of his life. It is really tragic and just not fair.

No comments: